A friend of mine has extended a challenge to her friends to spend some time before Christmas writting on our blogs our testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ. I accept your challenge Kim, because I know it's exactly what I need. I need to put aside my "Christmas to-do" list (which will probably never be completed anyway)...and focus on the true meaning of Christmas.
After reading Kim's blog (the link is under Eric and Kim on the side of my blog)...I felt like writting "ditto" and just telling you to go to her blog to read her wonderful insights. Well I am....I know it sounds like cheating....here's why...
Everything she mentioned I know and believe to be true. And rather then spending the limited amount of spare time I get as a mother of young children, I would rather explain to you WHY I believe these things to be true.
From a young age I remember being touched and influenced by the spirit. Through the years I have been able to recongnize it's presence better in my life...especially when I was striving to do what was right. The influence of the spirit has always brought a peace to my mind unlike any other peace the world can provide. It's clear and unquestionale. It reinforces to me what I'm doing with my life is good and correct.
When I was twelve, while camping out in the middle of the mountains, I took sometime to myself to go for a little hike where I read my scriptures and prayed to my Heavenly Father (now keep in mind at this age I rarely picked up the scriptures and praying was one of those things you always dreaded when someone asked you to do). But I will never forget the feelings and answers I received by JUST ASKING! I had a lot of questions...even at a young age....regarding truth and religion. I left that hike that day knowing with clear understanding who I was and how much my Heavenly Father loves me personally. Although he is the Supreme Diety, he know and loves us personally. He loved me enough to send me a Savior to sacrifice for my short comings just so I could return to live with him again. As a parent I cannot wrap my mind around watching my own child suffer the way he had to. But he did to allow his plan, the Plan of Happiness, to move forward.
The Plan of Happiness is just what it sounds like. It's a way for us to live and make choices to help us return to live with our Heavenly Father again....which will bring to us full and complete happiness. Although parts of this plan may bring us sorrow in this life (such as death), with the knowledge we have of eternal life we only have to feel such sorrow for a short time. Knowing and understanding that we will be with loved ones again brings us peace in this life and complete joy in the next life when we are reunited.
There have been three somewhat recent events in my life where I have felt the spirit so strong I will never be able to deny what I have learned from these experiences.
1. The day I married my husband. Rich and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple where we kneeled across the alter hand in hand, married not only for this life, but for time and eternity. I knew what I was doing that day was good and peaceful feelings I felt reassured to me that my Heavenly Father loved me for my decision to marry such a great man. And that our decision to be married in the temple would be the beginning of our efforts to build an eternal family with children who will be sealed to us in the eternities after this mortal probation.
2. A little over a year after we were married my mom passed away. As difficult as it was...and it was very difficult to lose someone I was so close to...I found myself turning to my Heavenly Father pleading for some peace and deliverance from my sorrow. It came! And I had many experiences during that time that taught me that there is many things to look forward to and be hopeful about. It's still difficult moving on through life without my mom, but I know I will get to live with her again, and I look forward to that happy reunion.
3. The day each one of my children were born. I cherish the moment I get to meet my babies as they enter into this world. They come from our Heavenly Father's presence, and they bring with them his love and spirit.
These three things (Eternal marriage, experiencing births and deaths and our willingness to be baptized) are fundamental parts of our Heavenly Father's plan.
I'm very grateful for the amount of love our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for us to be so willing to make the many sacred sacrifices they have. Our Savior lovingly agreed to come to this world in such humble circumstances, to leave his throne on high, to become like us...meek and lowly, to completely understand what it's like to suffer so he could succor us in time of need. I'm thankful we have this time of year to reflect and rejoice his birth. But I pray we will seek him always...even after the holiday seasons has passed.
If you have any thoughts or feelings please comment or email me nickiereeves@gmail.com or go to lds.org
I'M EXTENDING THE CHALLENGE FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO ACCEPT IT.....THE CHALLENGE IS YOU WRITE YOUR TESTIMONY OF OUR SAVIOR ON YOUR BLOG...FACEBOOK...OR EMAIL. IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO COMMENT THAT YOU ARE ACCEPTING THIS CHALLENGE ON MY POST SO I CAN ENJOY YOUR THOUGHTS AND INSIGHTS...AND THEN PASS THE CHALLENGE TO OTHERS!
HAVE FUN!
4 comments:
AMEN, SISTA! You are the 1st responder. YOU ROCK!
done... thanks!
Did it!!! Thanks girl!
Thank you Nickie for your beautiful testimony! I also posted mine because Lindsay saw your post and told me about it. I enjoyed your testimony so much and wanted to thank you for the opportunity to do the same. have a great Christmas and give everybody a kiss for me!
Post a Comment