Thursday, July 25, 2013

That Moment…

It’s hard to describe the feelings that come rushing over you in that moment when you see a pregnancy test read positive. I love that moment of shock and surprise! See I don’t have regular cycles so its not uncommon for me to go months without knowing. I’ve taken way too many negative pregnancy tests, so when they come out positive… it’s like Christmas morning! A TRUE SURPRISE! Because I get so sick in my pregnancies, I love to relish in the news that first week of knowing I’m having a baby without puking…. AND I ESPECIALLY LOVE ANNOUNCING MY PREGNANCY in some fun way to someone.

MY FIRST PREGNANCY

After trying to conceive for some time, taking tests and being told we would most likely never conceive a child, I was in complete shock when 10 years ago my pregnancy test came out positive. It all started when I decided to take one more test before we were to start fertility treatments. I was tired of seeing the negative results, so I pee’d on the stick, put it on the bathroom counter, and left without looking. After about 15 minutes I walked back in and glanced over at it to find IT WAS POSTIVE! Just then my visiting teachers were knocking at the door. Let’s just say carrying on a conversation with them for a half an hour was very difficult when I just realized a miracle was growing inside of me. After they left, I ran to walmart…took 3 more tests in their dirty sticky bathroom just to make sure. I bought a baby bottle and filled it with candy and put it under Rich’s pillow that night. Having him discover that was just as magical as reading the test myself earlier that day.

MY SECOND PREGNANCY

I felt like I was the last to know I was prego. It was a pretty funny story. We were visiting his parents over Christmas break and I had not had a period in months (but again that’s not uncommon for me). But I was doing lots of crazy things like skate boarding (and mostly falling), doing flips in the park etc. The thought occurred to me that I may want to make sure I wasn’t pregnant. I asked Rich if we could run to a dollar store for a test. We asked his parents where the nearest dollar store was, and they said they needed to go and they would take us. I don’t know why I felt embarrassed….please we are married…but I still hoped that I could quickly grab one and buy it without them seeing. As I was making a quick dash to the register, THEY WERE ALREADY THERE and they said “Whatever you’re buying just throw it in with our stuff….we will pay for it”. So I threw my one and only item up on the counter and told my mother-in-law not to get too excited because I take A LOT of negative tests.

So I went home, pee’d on the stick, it came out negative so I threw it in the trash and was on my way. The next day as we were driving back to California I got a message from my mother-in-law on my phone wondering about the results of the test from the day before. I told Rich why his mom called and said I would have to call her back to tell her it was negative. His response “What do you mean? It was positive! YOU’RE PREGNANT”. Me “UM NO!!! It was negative. Why are you saying it was positive?” Rich “Because I pulled it out of the trash and it was POSITIVE!!!”. Then we spent the next 4 hours driving home wondering who saw the pregnancy test correctly. RICH WAS RIGHT!

MY THIRD PREGNANCY

I went to the gym early to run on the treadmill, but for some reason I just had nothing to give. My gym friend said “ I bet you’re pregnant” so when we got home, she brought me over a test….sure enough I was. Rich’s dad was in town (in California) and was taking us out to a Chinese restaurant that night, so I went and bought some fortune cookies and replaced the fortune inside. Rich’s dads said something about his posterity will continue to grow within the next year, and Rich’s fortune said “CONGRATS….YOU’RE GOING TO BE A DADDY AGAIN”.

This was us telling the kids:

 

THIS PREGNANCY (MY FOURTH)

I was at church when I started feeling nauseous. It lasted all day long without getting worse or better. I started getting suspicious I was pregnant. The next morning at the gym I felt like puking the whole workout, so once again I went home to take the test. When it came out positive I was so excited I started crying. I wasn’t sure if we were going to be blessed with a fourth baby. I was so happy! I couldn’t wait to tell Rich and the kids. For the first time the kids were actually old enough to understand (so I thought) and get excited about it.

First I put THIS IN THE OVEN FOR RICH:

DSC_4564 (2)

Then I served up baby food for dinner to see if the kids would catch on….THEY DIDN’T REALLY!

2 comments:

Tawni Williams said...

That is so fun!! I love that you have one entry with all the pregnancy stories! Those are so fun!!

The Dabo's said...

Love all your peeing on the stick moments! I didn't think you were going to do a 4th. I'm glad you did, it's fun!