Saturday, October 3, 2009

Oh the humor…

Some recent humorous things Sadie has said and done the last few days…

PICT2798

1. Last Sunday she wanted to go play with her friend Bennett after church. We try to keep Sunday a family day so we told her she could go and play on Monday (Poor kid gets really confused because we still go over to friends houses on Sunday if we are doing dinner together…which we have done so with this cute family two times since we have moved here)….anyway…so after Sadie was told Sundays are family days she gets really excited about her bright idea and says “Hey, I have a GREAT IDEA! How about we spend time as a family by all of us going over and playing with Bennett”. I think we have a politician in the making here….always saying what she thinks we want to hear!

2. Sadie is ALWAYS mothering Mason….mostly in a very controlling and disciplinarian type of way. I’m CONSTANTLY reminding her that she’s the sister and I AM THE MOTHER. Lately I’ve just decided to not make a big deal of it because it’s not like Mason even responds to her authority anyway. So today at the dinner table Mason was acting like a puppy and Sadie was not enjoying it. She said “Mason if you don’t stop barking I’m going to have to count to three”. I was VERY INTERESTED to see what happened on three so I let the situation fly. Mason barked…Sadie said “That’s ONE”…..BARK…. “That’s TWO”….BARK…. “That’s THREE MASON….ummmm, ok…..ummmm, ok Mason do you want me to come over and spank you or do you want Mommy to come over and spank you?” (At least she’s giving him options like we try to…you know Love and Logic style (if you have ever read the book…good stuff)). Mason’s response was a bunch of panting with his tongue hanging out. I reminded her as she stood up if she touched him then she would get in trouble. She then said “Ok Mom I guess that means you have to spank him”. I said “But Sadie I don’t like to spank, especially when Mason has done nothing wrong”. Sadie’s response.. “Ok Mason, but you better never make me count to 3 again or else YOU ARE REALLY going to be in trouble”.

HMMMM….as funny as it was it was sort of a wake up call that I may be giving too many empty threats myself (especially my threats while counting). Time to hit the Love and Logic Book again because my natural tendency is to BEAT MY CHILDREN INTO RIGHTEOUSNESS…do you think that will work? I don’t think so either….time to develop a little more patience and control. Until then I’ll try to laugh off the fact that my 5 year old sounds like a broken record of her mother’s discipline.

No comments: