Am I the only parent that feels like at times I’m failing!!! Lately my boy will NOT STOP HITTING other little kids. It’s frustrating…no it’s MADNING! I feel like I’ve tried everything. Deep down I know he’s a great kid. He rarely hits because he’s angry or wants to hurt anyone. Usually it’s while he’s playing SUPER HERO and he gives his friend a not so friendly karate chop to the head. Luckily, his two best friends are JUST LIKE HIM so they are usually ok with his ninja blows. But I’m still trying my best to teach him that there’s other ways (fun ways) to play without someone ending up in a blood curdling scream.
So the other day after battling with his rambunctious ways… I lost it! I cried to my mother-in-law and confessed that I’m failing miserably as a parent. She has to be the sweetest person I know…she cried along with me (because she raised 9 kids herself and she still remembers what it’s like). I really enjoyed picking her brain for ideas and her words brought me so much peace AND HOPE!
That day I had two extra kids (I’ve been doing daycare twice a week with two extra kiddos). Before taking Mason to school, we went to the park to play. At the park was a large fire engine parked next to the playground. The firemen where out in the field playing football. The boys were in awe!!! All they wanted to do was watch the firemen toss around the ball. The firemen must have felt their glare from 50 feet away…because they came up and asked if we wanted to take a tour of the fire truck. THE BOYS WERE IN HEAVEN! I wish I had my camera. They even gave the kids firemen hats so they could feel like REAL FIREMEN while sitting in the cab. They turned on the sirens and lights and let the kids explore everything. As they pulled away they put on a big show for the kids and the kids waved and yelled until they were out of sight. As I stood there watching my kids little dreams come true…I began to tear up. Motherhood can be extremely frustrating, but it’s times like this when you see the sweet innocences come out of them that you’re reminded just how much you love being the one who they call Mom. I really love watching them explore new things in the world.
I have really been encouraging Mason to keep his hands to himself at school. I have set up a lot of positive rewards for his good behavior…and so far (it’s been a week)…he is doing AMAZING! This same day when I went to pick him up he yelled from across the preschool room “MOM…I DIDN’T HIT ANYONE. NOT ONE PERSON TODAY. I KNEW I COULD DO IT. “ Then as we walked to the car he said real quietly “Mom, I’ve decided I’m never going to hit anyone again…ever”. HE WAS SO PROUD OF HIS ACCOMPLISHMENT…and I was too!
I was already on cloud nine as a parent that day when Sadie returned home from school. She yelled out to me not to come downstairs to see her because she wanted “Some private time”. Uh-oh…I thought. Great she’s doing something notty and she using the “I need privacy” as a way to keep me away. But I respected her request…as hard as it was! Later that day when I went to do homework with her, I opened up her folder to find that her 30 minutes worth of homework WAS COMPLETE!!! When she got home from school she wanted to surprise me buy doing her homework without me even asking. I think what motivated her was she received her report card that day and she had straight A’s and outstanding scores on citizenship. I think she was just as proud of herself as I was of her. So am I mentioning this because I want to brag….NO…the reason is because just a year ago this sweet girl was having a hard time respecting those around her and her teacher. She’s got a very strong personality and when she get’s grumpy…boy can she get grumpy. I remember shedding tears over her and feeling like I was failing her. But in the past 6 months or so she has turned into this amazing little BRIGHT AND SO WISE girl who knows and understands her boundaries. Is she perfect….not even close. But she’s made huge strides and I’m so proud of her efforts.
BEING A MOM IS HARD….BUT O’ SO WORTH IT!
3 comments:
Oh how I love this post. Being a mom is down right hard and some days it sounds easier to just lock myself in my room, but the rewards are worth it. I also understand the boy thing. I swear so much of that is just in boys that we can only guide it. Hope you are doing well and that life isn't too crazy. Oh and my sister always says when you worry about "failing" your kids that's when you aren't because you recognize there is always room for improvement and you actually care enough to worry about that. Sadly some kids don't have that!
I like that you share this because I have been there too...And my kids have been hitting and pushing at daycare and it's SO FRUSTRATING! And I love when they are SO happy they didn't hit or weren't naughty! Motherhood is wicked hard, but I love those precious moments too! I take my kids out to activities by myself when Chris works and it's hard and some days I think we shouldn't go out, but when we do I see the light in my kid's eyes and the joy and memories they are making with their momma. It makes me happy to know I am doing things that they will always remember and want to do with their kids too. I worry all the time with my strong willed kids that when they get older I hope they don't try things that aren't good for them. ugh I worry!
I hear ya sister. It really is so hard. And hopefully our kids will take away a few good memories and not so many scars. Love you.
Post a Comment