I’ve learned a great deal about faith lately (Although, I know not enough…!) There’s been times I’ve learned faith by choice (reading scriptures, the Ensign or praying) and then there’s been times I’ve learned it through trials (which makes me wish I could do all my growing and learning from what I read…but it just doesn’t work that way :)
The last few years have been full of:
SWEET MEMORIES
DOUBT
FEAR
FUN TIMES…
DID I MENTION FEAR…and more!
FAITH WAS DEVELOPED….FAITH WAS EXERCISED…FAITH WAS INCREASED…FAITH WAS LOST…FAITH WAS RESTORED (repeated many times) And the surprising thing, for me, was this faith cycle could play out all in one weeks time. Life has been a crazy rollercoaster ride…there were times we thought the ride was slowing down and stopping at the end…just to find out that we got to take another turn on the rollercoaster whether we liked it or not.
I’ve learned the best thing to do when you’re on the never-ending rollercoaster ride is just to hang on….
So what keeps me going…what helps me to hold on???
I read in a book once written by Elder Holland about faith. It was an ah-ha moment that has become a part of who I am…or at least a part of who I want to be.
He shared the account in the New Testament when a father with an ill son cries unto the Lord for help. The Savior replied “If thou canst BELIEVE, all things are possible to Him that believeth”. The father replied “Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief”. The man recognized he had some faith, but he did not have complete faith. While reading this book, I learned a valuable principle. Just as this father, we need to assert our strength first, and only then acknowledge what we lack. The father first declared WHAT FAITH HE DID HAVE (I believe), and then ask for help in the weakness he knew was his. In moments of fear or doubt we need to hold to what we already have won…holding fast to the things WE DO KNOW! Even a mustard seed size faith can move mountains.
“The first rule of holes…is when you are in one, stop digging”.
Is it just me….or do some of you knowingly dig your hole deeper on occasion because you feel like doing nothing but wallow in your own muddy pit? (Those are my “loss of faith” days.) I’ve had many days like that where I first declare, to the Lord and to everyone else around me, HELP THOU MINE UNBELIEF! But every time I’ve made a decision to stop digging, I’ve felt the presence and love of my Savior. I’ve always known the Savior wants to help and bless us….but I had to learn a little patience.
“Let us constantly, repeatedly affirm our belief, even as we wrestle with unbelief” Elder Holland
Many of you know some of our prayers have been answered recently….it’s acts of tender mercies like these that the Lord gives to us to remind us just how much he loves us.
I sigh of relief…AHHHHHHHH…and will enjoy this peace and calm before the next storm arises….. BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS DO :)
Today we went to the Temple after church. We like to do that occasionally, so the kids can learn more about why we attend the Temple and why it’s so important to us. Although…I think the kids think it’s just another fun play land…despite our attempt to teach them otherwise. After sitting in church for three hours, it was impossible to get the kids to reverently walk around the temple grounds. Kendyl’s our little monkey. She would lift her leg up on anything higher than herself and start crying “UP…UP…UP”! We were impressed by her flexibility!
p.s. I found these matching dressing for the girls at the Goodwill…SCORE! I’ve done a lot of my shopping at second hand stores lately…and it just makes my day when I found awesome things…LIKE MATCHING DRESSES FOR JUST A COUPLE OF DOLLARS!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment