Saturday, July 25, 2009

This should make me cry…BUT I CAN’T STOP LAUGHING!

June_09__153

Today Sadie would not stop picking fights with me and her little brother Mason. I was about to lose my cool so I sent Sadie to her room for a time-out, then I went back to the bathroom to continue getting ready for the day. When I came out of the bathroom there was a note at my door. I read it with tears welling up in my eyes and my heart was overwhelmed with joy ….it read “I do love you Mom and I do love you Mason”….doesn’t it??? So I thought! But what was with those extra D’s in the words “Do”…well you know 5 year olds…their spelling is never perfect. Still happiness was just spilling out of me…I couldn’t wait to wrap her in my arms and thank her for such a SWEET note. I found her in the family room with her head still hanging low. I went over a squeezed her and thanked her as I gave her a kiss on the check. She did not lift her head and she even grunted a little under her breath. Hmm…I thought we were in the forgiveness process…maybe it was just taking her longer to experience the joy I was feeling…after all she WAS NOT THE ONE WHO HAD RECEIVED SUCH A SWEET NOTE! As I turned to walk away she lifted her head just enough to where I could see her dazed and confused look. WHAT DIDN’T SHE EXPECT THAT I WOULD JUST LOVE THAT NOTE TO PIECES! Another five minutes went by and I kept praising what a great thing she did. THEN I decided to ask her why she put extra D’s in the words “Do”. She went real quiet and said “Well Mom...this whole time you have been thinking I wrote I DO LOVE YOU…when really I wrote I DON’T LOVE YOU.” A quiet awkward moment follows her confession. “Oh ok” I said…”I see…by the way next time you try to spell DON’T just so you know it’s NOT SPELLED DOD…That way it is clear to everyone what message you are trying to communicate!”

6 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so funny! You've gotta love a kid with that much spunk!

Mindy said...

That is HILARIOUS! I am so glad my 5 year old isn't the only one with attitude!

Heidi Davies said...

I remember the first time Sydney told me she didn't love me. It can't help but make you smile but feel heartbroken at the same time.

Tawni Williams said...

So funny! My word that girl can read and spell (well almost) and is not yet in Kindergarten!! She must have a super smart mommy and daddy ha ha - that was a classic story

birdeeb said...

Awww :o( Kids!!

Brett + Kristin said...

HILARIOUS!