Sunday, April 25, 2010

Be thou an example…

So I woke up today on the wrong side of the bed. Then it didn’t help that I was pulling teeth to get my kids ready to make it to church on time. The Mommy monster began to emerge as I tried to wrestle the kids into the car. I was in no mood to be going to church. In fact…I felt like the day was already shot spiritually and that it would be pointless to even go. But I do have a testimony of church attendance….so I went anyway….LATE OF COURSE!

But I’m always amazed how we can be blessed just by doing what we know is right…even when our heart is not in the right place.

Today in sacrament meeting some neighbors of ours talked. This couple is a rock!!! She was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with cancer and they have been battling through this trial for sometime now….and things are not looking as bright as they were hoping for. But through it all I have been amazed at their strength and willingness to help those around them. I was so touched by their testimonies and talks they had prepared. I felt so selfish that just an hour before I was home getting work upped over such insignificant matters, when on a daily basis they are just praying for more time together. Life is just too precious to get worked up over the small things!!!

So when I was leaving for church today….IN MY BAD MOOD…I choose not to take my scriptures. “It’s just one more thing I have to carry and be burdened with”..I thought to myself. I felt bad about my decision,  knowing it’s something I should take…but again feeling angry I choose not to. THEN…as I was listening to the talks and my heart was beginning to soften…I reached down to grab something for the kids….AND THERE LAID MY SCRIPTURES!!!

Rich had grabbed them for me! I instantly began tearing up!!! This small moment was the perfect example of the relationship we have with each other. Marriage is not about two perfect people coming together to live perfect lives. It’s about supporting each other and carrying each other when one of us is feeling weak.

I didn’t want to carry the message Heavenly Father had for me today…So Rich carried it for me until I was ready. Then once I was ready, I opened them….and of course read exactly what I needed to hear! The whole chapter was on patience (which it was my lack of patience with my kids that sent me in this downward spiral to begin with). I feel so thankful the Heavenly Father has blessed me with such great examples in my life. I’m ready to test my patience tomorrow in hopes that what I have learned will give me some much needed strength.

SO HERE’S WHAT WE DID TODAY…JUST TRYING TO PASS TIME AS A FAMILY!

Face Painting

IMG_0156 IMG_0160

Mason was so excited he even said “Mom will you put this on your blog for everyone to see?”….so here you have it…..my scary attempt to make some cool creations on my kids faces!

IMG_0168

I don’t know if Kendyl was crying because of her lame cat painting or if it’s because she had a rice krispy up her nose….or maybe it was a mixture of having paint all over her face, cereal up her nose….AND THAT MOM WAS TAKING PICTURES INSTEAD OF HELPING HER!!!!

At least she’s got herself a cute little man that takes care of her. Her little boyfriend who’s three months younger took her for a little stroll today…I thought it was so cute!

IMG_0165

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Thank you so much for sharing these little experiences and insights into family life and marriage. I can't tell you how many times I've felt picked up through your experiences. Thank you!

birdeeb said...

I have been there done that! When Chris worked Sundays I would just lose it with my kids! I finally told him that he shouldn't work Sundays anymore because when our 3rd one comes I probably would quit going...He worked it out that he didn't have to work Sundays and it has been such a blessing!