My little confession……7 years ago when I found out I was having my first baby I was convinced I WAS GOING TO BE THE PERFECT MOTHER. (Yeah I’m a little embarrassed to admit that). My kids were never going to act out (especially not in public), they were going to know all their scripture stories from the time they started talking, and they were never going to talk back to me. The only things that would come out of their mouths were going to be please and thank yous! (Ok I’m exaggerating a little)
My Big confession….7 years later….I”m not the perfect mother!!! (Shocking I know). Everyday I wake up thinking “Ok, today will be the day….my perfect day….where I don’t lose my patience with the kids. I will wear a smile on my face all day….not a fake smile…a real smile….because nothing my kids will say or do will upset me. I will only discipline with love, not out of frustration. My kids will learn how to live a Christ-like life…not only from the scriptures that we read….BUT FROM MY EXAMPLE! “
It’s not that I think I’m an awful mother….but I just want to develop a little more patience. I want to be more of the mother I imagined I would be 7 years ago.
Today I was reading a book written by Elder Holland (an apostle of the church). He wrote a chapter about Motherhood. He quoted a mother in this chapter, and I LOVED WHAT SHE SAID…..it really made me think more positively about my imperfections as a mother. She said in reference to those hard days with children “Maybe it is precisely our inability and anxiousness that urge us to reach out to Him and enhance His ability to reach back to us. Maybe He secretly hopes we will be anxious and will plead for His help. Then, I believe, he can teach these children directly, through us, but with no resistance offered. I like that idea. It gives me hope. If I can be right before my Father in Heaven, perhaps His guidance to our children can be unimpeded . Maybe then it can be His work and His glory in a very literal sense.”
It’s because of the Gospel I don’t throw in the towel on those hard days. I know I have help. That my children are his children too. And he loves them very much, more than I can possibly love them. AND I LOVE THEM A LOT!!!
Even through the notty and the nice…it’s hard not to love these kids. I mean just look at these faces!!!
(Here’s some pics we took at the mall by our house. Just for the record…we do not pose Sadie. When we pull out a camera she just starts striking poses on her own. She’s been doing this since she was 18 months. Our other two kids could care less about the camera…it’s funny!)
6 comments:
Hate to let you in on a little secret, I think we all thought we'd have this mother thing down. I have discovered that 99% of the time I don't know what I am doing. I crave any motherly advice anyone will give me because, I need it. I'll also let you know, your kids are fantastic. You are doing a wonderful job with them.
Nickie, it's like you're reading my mind. I have that exact thought EVERY morning! BTW, stinkin' ADORABLE pics!
Thank you so much for those inspiring words. I do the same thing everyday tell myself this is going to be my perfect day...I always fall so short. Great pics!!
Your children are seriously beautiful - thanks for sharing that thought - it really is super comforting for ANY mom -
Amen Sister! I am feeling ya. I usually have these thoughts of "what did I just do or say. Would a good mother do these things? NO!" And then I try to apologize. My kids now know that all they have to do is tell me to say "sorry" to them and I usually do. But I still need so much work. And your kids are GREAT!
Love the colors in the pictures.
Such cute pics!! Sadie CRACKS me up!!
Post a Comment